CEDEM is NGO established as a non-profit association of citizens, in order to advance and spread conscience on importance of proper and successful democratic transition; to research, analyze and follow process of transition as well as to influence on transitional process in Montenegro and contribute to the strengthening of civil society and democratization in general.
In that direction, CEDEM acts as a think-tank group by organizing the numerous public hearings and practical actions. CEDEM mainly operates in:
• conducting research and analytical projects in the field of democratic transition and human rights in Montenegro
• organizing conferences, round tables, meetings, seminars, workshops and training sessions with the aim of encouraging the process of democratic transition
• influencing on the legislative processes in Montenegro
• informing the public about its activities and results through publications and media
• cooperating with other NGO's, with similar areas of interest, from Montenegro, the region and abroad
Center for Democracy and Human Rights (CEDEM) was established on July 2, 1997 and registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Montenegro on 15 July 1998.
In the latest research conducted under the University Pennsylvania's Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program (TTCSP), CEDEM was ranked 10th think tank organization in the Central and Eastern Europe.
The "Global Go To Think Tank Index Report" for 2016 is a process involving more than 6,846 think-tank organizations from all over the world. Research included more than 4,750 plus university staff and administrators, journalists, policymakers, etc.
Among 1770 think tanks from Europe, in the category of Central and Eastern Europe, CEDEM took 10th ranking position.
Report can be found here.
The category which CEDEM was ranked is on the page 65 of the Report.