CEDEM is NGO established as a non-profit association of citizens, in order to advance and spread conscience on importance of proper and successful democratic transition; to research, analyze and follow process of transition as well as to influence on transitional process in Montenegro and contribute to the strengthening of civil society and democratization in general.
In that direction, CEDEM acts as a think-tank group by organizing the numerous public hearings and practical actions. CEDEM mainly operates in:
• conducting research and analytical projects in the field of democratic transition and human rights in Montenegro
• organizing conferences, round tables, meetings, seminars, workshops and training sessions with the aim of encouraging the process of democratic transition
• influencing on the legislative processes in Montenegro
• informing the public about its activities and results through publications and media
• cooperating with other NGO's, with similar areas of interest, from Montenegro, the region and abroad
Center for Democracy and Human Rights (CEDEM) was established on July 2, 1997 and registered with the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Montenegro on 15 July 1998.
According to the Programme of Think-tanks and civil society research, conducted by the University of Pennsylvania in the United States, CEDEM was ranked among 7 leading think-tank organizations from Central and Eastern Europe.
The study entitled "Global Think Tank Index" for 2015, included 6486 think-tank organizations from 182 countries from around the world. The study involved more than 4750 participants. Think-tank organizations were nominated in 47 categories, where CEDEM took 7th place in the category related to the organizations from Central and Eastern Europe.
CEDEM’s positioning among top 7 think tanks in Central and Eastern Europe represents an international acknowledgment of 20 years of work in the field of research and analysis of political processes in Montenegro.
The full Report can be downloaded here.
Category in which CEDEM was ranked can be found in the Report, page 68.